History of Stone House Lodge & Stone Cottage Inn - Winesburg Ohio
663
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-663,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,paspartu_enabled,paspartu_on_bottom_fixed,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-10.0,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.12,vc_responsive
 

History

History of Stone House Lodge

Dan Kinsley started his hardware business here in the late 1800s. He sold many things for the local population including farm equipment, roofing, water pumps and wooden water pipes, and even groceries. In 1895 Mr Kinsley moved his business across the street and started selling carriages also. By 1910 he was the first car dealership between Columbus and Cleveland selling Imperial automobiles. Later he sold Hupmobile and Buick.

Henry Ford heard about Kinsley and came to Winesburg to convince him to sell his Fords. As was common, John D Rockefeller came along to sell his Standard Oil and Sohio products. They succeeded and for many years Ford automobiles and Sohio gas were sold here in town.

Stone House Lodge History
History of Stone Cottage Inn

History of Stone Cottage Inn

Rev. Daniel Cranz came to America in 1825 from Germany. He served as Pastor of the Zion Evangelical Church for nearly 32 years (1836 – 1868). It has been said “His name was a household word and his life like ‘precious ointment’ and ‘sweet incense’ in the community.” He owned a farm a mile from the current owner’s homestead and lived in the Stone cottage till he passed away in 1876. He is buried in the old Winesburg cemetery.

Words From Our Guests

Thank you for a wonderful home away from home! We were in need of a relaxing weekend and we found it at the The Stone House Lodge.  We had everything we needed and more. We really enjoyed waking up to the sound of the horse and buggies going by. We will certainly recommend Stone House Lodge to other people, and will be back soon ourselves!

– B & K
Wheelersburg, Ohio

Winesburg Ohio History

In the early 1800’s in Dinstbach, Germany, a Lutheran Minister, Pastor William Schmidt, envisioned a Lutheran College in the United States. He educated his youngest son William and sent him to his older brother, Christian, who lived in Philadelphia, Pa. After talking to many different people about their goals for the college, they decided to start it somewhere in the backwoods and let it grow with the fledgling country.

In 1827 they began the adventure of finding the perfect place for the new college. The exact spot they decided on was what is now Winesburg. It reminded them of their own German village, and inspired them to forge a place where their fellow countrymen could do business in their mother tongue.

Before the men started building the college, Christian Schmidt’s house caught on fire and everything was destroyed, including the brass bound chest where he stored the money. The chest was never recovered and it is believed the fire was set to cover up a robbery. The dreams of a college in Winesburg lay in ashes.

Because of the loss of money, William had to go elsewhere for financial aid. He was successful and founded what is now Capital University in Columbus, OH.

In 1832, William Schmidt surveyed and plated the town of Winesburg in thirty-two plots, and named it in honor of the town of Weinsburg, Germany.

Winesburg Ohio
Winesburg Ohio History in Literature

Winesburg in Literature

Sherwood Anderson committed Winesburg, Ohio to memory for generations of American literature fans with his 1919 collection of short stories entitled “Winesburg Ohio: A Group of Tales of Ohio Small-Town Life.” Although based on the author’s recollections of a childhood in Clyde, Ohio, the book was meant to portray a fictional town. Known as one of the earliest examples of Modernist literature due to the fact that it emphasizes the psychological insights of it’s characters over plot line, it is the ideal literary companion to your visit in Winesburg. Thousands of fans of the critically acclaimed short story collection have visited Winesburg Ohio throughout the years.